Friday, April 07, 2006

I'm going to tell a story about my childhood:

As a kid I never heard country music until my parents split up. My mom began listening to Anne Murray. Around the same time two of my aunts got divorces and we all lived together with my grandparents and I was exposed to John Denver and Conway Twitty. (Incidentally, it was during this time that I first heard the name Adolf Hitler. My aunt Dawn said that I combed my hair like him.) When my mom remarried I was exposed to Austin City Limits, The Grand Ole Opry, and Waylon and Willie. My new stepdad (himself previously divorced) had a serious love affair with old country LP's. He still does. His collection is enviable.

All of this led to my theory that country music and divorce were somehow interrelated. In fact to this day I think there's some truth to it.

Another thing about that time in my life is that I was reading and watching "Little House On The Prairie" every day. I read the whole series by the end of second grade. So basically I was Hitler's bedwetting six-year-old doppelganger and had a serious crush on Melissa Gilbert. I cut out a noxema ad with her picture in it from my cousins Mademoiselle magazine and stuck it under my pillow and everything. I was not a normal kid.

Right now I'm listening to Rilo Kiley. I'm not sure what that says about me. Normally if you were to come to The Scooter Lounge you would hear tunes from The Arcade Fire, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, The Killers, U2, or something else non-sucky.

So why am I listening to this folky, semi-twangy Rilo Kiley stuff? I don't know, but I like it. I hope that doesn't mean my marriage is in trouble. I better ask my wife.

1 comment:

AzĂșcar said...

I've heard that new Rilo Kiley cd is awesome.


Now, you've possibly solved a long running question in my head. My dad read us the Little House books when we were little. I didn't think much of it since there were three girls and a boy. I loved those books.

Here's my question, I have a little boy, are those books too "girlish" to read to him?