Thursday, September 11, 2008

I like a pretty wide variety of music. This is probably thanks to my parents and older siblings. My dad sang in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir for 22 years. He listened to lots of Placido Domingo and Luciano Pavarotti. My mom on the other hand loved the Kingston Trio and Peter Paul and Mary. My brother Carlos is a devout worshipper of Dan Fogleberg, and I remember my sisters listening to everything from Chicago to OMD. Also significant to my musical DNA is the fact that as long as I have known him, my stepdad has spent at least two hours a day making mix tapes of his vast collection of vintage country vinyl. Though I found it really annoying as a U2 loving young man, I have even come to appreciate his musical taste.

So when I write a post titled "The Best Song in the World" you better believe I mean it.

This song, today, in my humble opinion is Gypsy by Fleetwood Mac




















Gypsy


So Im back, to the velvet underground
Back to the floor, that I love
To a room with some lace and paper flowers
Back to the gypsy that I was
To the gypsy... that I was

And it all comes down to you
Well, you know that it does
Well, lightning strikes, maybe once, maybe twice
Ah, and it lights up the night
And you see your gypsy
You see your gypsy

To the gypsy that remains faces freedom with a little fear
I have no fear, I have only love
And if I was a child
And the child was enough
Enough for me to love
Enough to love

She is dancing away from me now
She was just a wish
She was just a wish
And a memory is all that is left for you now
You see your gypsy
You see your gypsy

Lightning strikes, maybe once, maybe twice
And it all comes down to you

And it all comes down to you

Lightning strikes, maybe once, maybe twice
And it all comes down to you

I still see your bright eyes, bright eyes
And it all comes down to you
I still see your bright eyes, bright eyes
And it all comes down to you

I still see your bright eyes, bright eyes
(she was just a wish)
(she was just a wish)
And it all comes down to you

Lightning strikes, maybe once, maybe twice
And it all comes down to you



Today was one of the few days this year I drove rather than rode to work. As I drove home in the Galaxie after dark, windows down, Gypsy came on. And when Stevies' vocal dropped to nearly inaudible levels at the end of the word "velvet" and the beginning of the word "underground" I was transported to a place I may never have been, but remember just the same. I remember hearing this song as a little boy, as though it were part of the soundtrack of my childhood. I remember a teenage Carlos telling my dad he'd be back in "half an hour" and how suddenly a light went on and I understood what that meant. I remember how brightly Carlos shone before my adoring eyes, how cool he was, and how kind. I don't know if any of this is even real because Carlos was something like 18 years old when I was born, but the memories drive with me as my car rolls across the texture of the road, and the texture of Lindsey Buckinghams finger picking and John McVies Bass.

And I can't help but think that this has got to be the best song in the world as for four minutes and twenty five seconds I am back to the child I was, and Carlos is my unblemished hero. Back years before I learned about the drugs, before I saw the door to his daughters bedroom smashed from its hinges, before I knew anything about him but the feelings this song evokes in me.

I remember Carlos as the one who drove his Trans-Am from Provo to Salt Lake in something like 17 minutes flat, and whose girlfriend cross-stitched me a picture of a little boy fishing.

My big brother

8 comments:

~j. said...

Very nice. That's a perfect description of what a song can do, and it's great being able to get carried away like that.

I wish, in general, that more people loved Fleetwood Mac.

(Did you know that Lindsey Buckingham will be in Salt Lake on Monday, the 22nd? At 8:pm? Not like I'm counting down the minutes to the show...)

Cowboy Curtis said...

I was a closet Fleetwood Mac fan for years, until I came out about 3 years ago to my wife. She was very understanding of the whole situation. That record got me through my final semester of undergrad.

Kaerlig said...

I like it when you get sentimental. I think the combination of driving the Galaxie, loud music, and the windows rolled down at night do it to you every time.

Here's Us said...

I hope to someday be able to articulate how I feel like you do.

T

Dale Kemp said...

I have to admit that I've never heard this song before and that I'm not much of a Fleetwood Mac fan anyway.

BUT,

I am listening to it right now and I like it. Is it the best song in the world? Nah, but I like it so much I'm going to listen again.

The Calders said...

One, I can relate to a wayward brother..2. When is a new blog?

Marty

The Calders said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy G said...

It's been a while since I visited your blog but B. reminded me that you are a fun place to check-in. Fleetwood Mac songs have power to transport me. Would it be wrong to admit that one song in particular sends me back to a warm summer night in Utah when I traveled with an old boy friend up to an old roommate's wedding reception.

His car didn't have A/C. We drove up to Bountiful with the windows down and Fleetwood blaring. We sang our hearts out. We had fun! We were free! It was the most innocent of dates and yet for me, the most romantic. I was myself, not trying to be impressive, I was comfortable. We ended up stopping at the capitol building on the way back down to provo and we ran around and danced and were just silly. Why am I confessing all of this I don't know? Oh yes I do - because even though that night was 18 years ago, I'm transported back to that warm, sexy night, when I was with somebody I really liked, listening to an awesome cassette tape (ha!). I don't even remember if we kissed goodnight. We were both so happy and genuinely comfortable.