Sunday, September 06, 2009

It seems like it's been about a hundred years since I last posted. (How many posts start out with a variation of that sentence?)

I think I'll get a late start on my edumacation.

This is why I have a blog:

I like to write. I think I express myself better in writing than I do in person. At least I flatter myself to think so. But depending on the situation I can do pretty well in person too.

But it wasn't always that way. I used to have a really hard time talking to people in person. Was I making too much eye contact or too little? Was I saying "like" too much? Was there a booger on my face? And what the heck am I supposed to be doing with my hands? Pockets? Gestures? Straight down at my sides? Do I look awkward? Is my zipper down?

I think my mission helped me get more comfortable in my own skin. But nevertheless, writing is still more comfortable for me.  You don't have the luxury of the delete key in person.

So the short answer is that I like to talk, so I blog.  But there's more to it than that.

At first my blog was a place for me to vent my frustrations.  I didn't think anyone would ever read it, and I didn't care.  Then one day Jet Set Carina commented and I had an audience.

I started telling funny stories from my high school days.  This was partly because I went to high school with Carina and partly because high school was so traumatic.

Things went along pretty well like that for a while.  But then my blog hit stage 3 of blog development.  People I told stories about started reading my blog and sometimes getting angry.  (If you're keeping score, stage 1 was "no audience", stage 2 was "fun audience" and stage 3 was "angry audience")

Maybe those of you who have moved past stage three can help me out, because I still want to tell a lot of stories, sometimes at the expense of friends, neighbors and strangers, because there are funny and stupid things everybody does, and because self-deprecation, though my target is wide, is often more difficult to pull off.

But I don't want another episode like the altercation I had with my wife's grandfather over the things I said about the colossal douchenozzle Rick Koerber, so I keep my mouth shut.

I'll have to tell you about that incident sometime.

4 comments:

A Few Tacos Shy... said...

Boy do I understand! Having recently moved into stage 3 by hurting someone's feelings with a story (which opened a door of hatred from the husband) I know what you are saying but have yet to sort through the aftermath. I even removed names and places to keep it anonymous and the husband went all nutso on me. But don't stop telling funny stories! I will never understand people who say they just LOVED high school. I thought it was mostly an exercise in torture.

AzĂșcar said...

Dave, I think you're a really good writer and I think that having this blog has only enhanced your ability to tell a good tale. I'm on board for reading whatever you write, whenever you write it.

p.s. I have a post planned for October that involves us in high school, it will be fun, I promise.

Nigel said...

Changing names for people and places should be enough. The angry people need to get over themselves. The only people who know it's about them are the people who witnessed the incident, already heard the story, and--them.
i want to read the stories.

The Calders said...

If you are writing about people to specifically hurt them...like you know this guy from Idaho, that keeps bringing his scooter down to your shop, and bugging you, and you wish he would just crash the thing..... Oh, whoops.

Anyway if you are not out to ruin someones reputation, let's hear
the stories.

I am not really sure who is reading your blog that would be offended. Do they not know you? I mean really, it's not like you pretend to be something you aren't. It what makes people want to be around you.

Keep it up.

Marty