Saturday, December 05, 2009

So I'm finally getting my kidney removed on Monday.  I'm actually pretty excited.  I'm looking forward to the rest, and having meals brought to me while I watch TV.

The Dr. is going to try to do a hand-assisted laparoscopic procedure.  This means a small incision below my belly button, and two ports for the laparoscopic instruments.  In the event that my kidney won't fit through the hole, they'll have to do an "open" surgery in which they will make a pretty big incision on my side and back.  Hopefully they can do it laparoscopically and the recovery will go more smoothly.

My arm is getting better.  I'm supposed to still wear the splint and sling, but I actually seldom do.  Today I replaced the front brakes on our van.  When I raised the hood to look at the brake fluid level, I did it with my left arm and realized that I had made progress.  Over the last month I have had to raise the hood a couple of times and it has been really hard to do.  I couldn't do it with my left arm, so I had to raise it with the right, then support it with my head while I put up the prop-rod with my right also.  It was nice to be able to use my left arm, even for something so mundane.

I think that by the time I'm recovered from the surgery, my arm will be pretty much all better.  Still some soreness in the shoulder, but that will get better with time.

This experience has been a roller coaster so far.  When I found out about my kidney I got pretty depressed for a few days.  I even told my 8 year old son that I thought this might be the end for me.  (stupid, stupid, stupid!)  But I feel so much better these days.  I feel very optimistic and hopeful.  I feel like this really has been the worst year ever.  But the year is nearly over.  I feel overwhelmed at the outpouring of love and support from friends, family, and strangers.

2010 will be the best year ever, mark my words.

9 comments:

La Yen said...

And now, if some casual acquaintance needs a kidney, you don't have to feel guilty about not wanting to give him one. Score!

I recommend Days of Our Lives for the afternoons in the hospital, by the way...

The Calders said...

Dude,
I am going to try to do the brakes on my car, and feel so inadequate, and I have the full use of all my limbs and internal organs.

You have great talents. As I said, I don't know why, but I know your experience is for a reason. Sometimes it isn't, but in this case I think it is.

Marty

~j. said...

For recovery time, I recommend all three seasons of Arrested Development. And soup.

Kaerlig said...

Things are definitely moving in the right direction. 2010, I'm looking forward to you!

Nigel said...

It will be a good time for U2 concert DVDs. I wish I had some to lend you.

Azúcar said...

Two kidneys are so 2009. Everyone will want only one for 2010!

The Quist's said...

My goodness Dave! Ty said he heard through the grapevine that you were having such distress! You are certainly in our thoughts and prayers! I read up on your blog for a while, yes you have a great wife! You two have made an incredible family may 2010 bring you many blessings awaiting!

The Quist's said...

My goodness Dave! Ty said he heard through the grapevine that you were having such distress! You are certainly in our thoughts and prayers! I read up on your blog for a while, yes you have a great wife! You two have made an incredible family may 2010 bring you many blessings awaiting!

Nigel said...

Surely I'm not the only one dying for an update. I hope Christmas was good.